Club History
The Club was founded in 1933 when the Greenhill brothers, Les, Art and Cecil - the owners of the south bank - invited some casual swimmers from the opposite (current) side of the river to start a swimming club on the Greenhill's land.
The “and District” in the name may have been chosen because the Club wasn’t just a village club as it was consisted almost entirely of people from Trowbridge where woolen mills used to pollute the River Biss for clean bathing.
When the Greenhill brothers died in 1970, the land was sold but the Club was allowed to continue.
However 1992 the Club was asked to leave the south bank and moved to the current location at the north bank - known as the Great Move - to carry on the tradition and legacy of river swimming.
(For more Club history, you can purchase the book “The Club” by ex-chairman Rob Fryer from Collectors on site or Cream Teas at Stowford Manor Farm, 800 yards up the A366 towards Trowbridge)